Sunday, October 12, 2008

American Revolution, Part II

Check out Kalilily Time for some provocative and scary posts. I didn't see that racist with the stuffed monkey with an Obama sticker on it at the McCain/Palin rally, but she has a video of it on there. Naomi Wolfe's interview about revolution and how we need to go about it. Here's an excerpt from Kalilily's post:
Now, she warns that America is already a police state and intimates that only a revolution can give us back our liberties. In her previous book, The End of America: Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot, she listed the 10 steps necessary for a state to take control of individuals' lives:

1. Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy.
2. Create secret prisons where torture takes place.
3. Develop a thug caste or paramilitary force not answerable to citizens.
4. Set up an internal surveillance system.
5. Harass citizens' groups.
6. Engage in arbitrary detention and release.
7. Target key individuals.
8. Control the press.
9. Treat all political dissidents as traitors.
10. Suspend the rule of law.

In her interview, above, she explains the ways these 10 steps have been completed in America.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recognized this, oh, about 6 years ago ;)

-your former student, Chris N

Joy said...

Hi Chris! Good to hear from you! Yes, I recognized it early on, too, and would have expected you to. :-) I'm not surprised at all since I know you are a critical thinker.

I'm so glad you commented. I thought we'd lost touch. Email me and we can catch up. There are two of you with the same first name and last initial. You're the Challenge Class/VU one, right?

Unknown said...

Thought provoking. Acceptable because it has a criterion...and that's all we educators want. lol
I can't remember the name of the nihilist who wrote that revolution can only be accomplished from within the system.I disagreed on the Amer Rev until I thought about it.It arose out of the discontent of businessmen "in"the sytem but who didn't like how things were going for them. They pretty much created this same criterion.
Fascinating how they may have diverted people with nobler causes for the insurrection.
-Charlie