Monday, August 17, 2009

Retirement

I'm having retirement euphoria today! I've been smiling ever since I woke up knowing I get to stay home! I've earned it, too!

I taught school for 37 years and was a single parent most of that time since I got a divorce when Brian was five. That meant I had full responsibility for him, the house, the car, finances, cooking, cleaning, and everything. Child support was sporadic and so were visits. I knew I was exchanging one set of problems for another but also realized that those were things I could deal with. There were many times I didn't have enough money, worked several jobs at a time, and struggled. Thank goodness for my parents for babysitting and helping out many ways, including buying some clothes and shoes for Brian - especially my mother! Daddy died when Brian was eight, and I still miss him, but he would have continued to help out.


Somewhere in there I took art courses so I'd be certified to teach it and got my Master's degree in gifted education and reading. I taught high school English, US History, art, speech/drama, creative writing, and ACT prep for over half of my career. I taught gifted students in an academic enrichment pull-out program the rest of the time. Then there were the after-school tutoring, course recovery classes, GED classes, and homebound students I taught for extra money. I was busy most of the time with work and a social life.


I will be forever grateful for the wonderful relationship my son Brian and I have. We've always gotten along so well, and he is fabulous! Icing on the cake is my daughter Kathy's and my reunion eight years ago that brought her and three grandchildren into my life! I am blessed!

My life isn't that different from others I know. There are quite a few of us around. I hope they are enjoying their retirement as much as I am and that they are relaxing with good books, visiting with friends, playing with their grandchildren, writing blogs, watching movies and TV, traveling, and celebrating life however they choose to do it! That's what I'm doing - others are tending their gardens, feeding their chickens, writing novels, performing in community theater, embarking on a second career, and anything else that strikes their fancy! I LOVE it and am so glad I made it to this stage of life!

12 comments:

Beth said...

I share your enjoyment. I was fortunate to be able to stop working about a year and a half ago, and I love not having to get up and deal with the daily grind! What a wonderful thing to just be able to enjoy the day.

the dogs' mother said...

We're all glad you retired too! I doubt you would have had time for us otherwise :-)

Unknown said...

ha ha...this post just frees me. thanks. (i think I got the puter problem resolved- got back to blogs)I have to stop and think sometimes that there are probablyh a lot of people glad to see us retire. Yesterday at the party an English teachern told me that every time the teachers tried to use one of my ideas, the principal said "We don't teach that at our school" I was right, she was happy to see me retire too.
Just the other side of the coin, dear.

Rhea said...

Fabulous! One day I may retire. Then again, maybe not.

Ms. Moon said...

Wow! I am awe of you and so glad to know all of this about you.
Go. Do. Enjoy.

Joy said...

It's why I don't mind being lazy now, but as we know, exercise is good for everything, and I need to do better with that.

Thanks, everyone! That was sweet of you to say, FP! Thanks, Ms. Moon. We do what we have to, I guess.

Charlie, I know what you mean about some teachers, but not you! (despite that principal)

Mark in DE said...

Wow, I had no idea about your long struggle to get where you are today. Indeed, you worked hard and deserve an enjoyable retirement.

Hope to see you in NYC Oct 23-25!!

gigi-hawaii said...

Oh, Joy, I am so happy for you. After all you've been through -- the good and the bad -- you deserve a rest. Have fun for all of us who still have to work.

Linda said...

I am soooo jealous, I have a long time until I can enjoy retirement

Chris said...

I wanted to fly to Tennessee just to hug you after reading this post.

Joy said...

I wasn't trying to get anyone to feel sorry for me but to justify how lazy I am now!

I enjoyed being busy and had a good time with most of it. Having more money would have helped, but I had it better than many people have.

Joy said...

But hey! I'll take all the hugs I can get! C'mon down! :-)