Thursday, August 13, 2009

Oh, Mr. Grant!


In the early 1970s, Gavin MacLeod initially read for the part of boss Lou Grant in the new TV sitcom The Mary Tyler Moore Show. MacLeod had played heavies and villains for years, and was a strong contender for the part of the gruff supervisor. After auditioning, he left, but then returned, asking to read for the role of sentimental Murray Slaughter. He got the part.


I loved that show and never missed it! What characters! They were the perfect blend played by actors who made them even better.

I've always loved Betty White no matter what show she's been in! She's great and played Sue Ann Nivens, Rose Nylund, Catherine Piper on Boston Legal, and all kinds of roles better than anyone else could have! And she's still working, thank goodness! Craig Ferguson has her on his show fairly often in comedy bits. I want to see The Proposal simply because she's in it.

4 comments:

David Dust said...

I agree about Betty White. She is a National Treasure.

XOXOXOXOXOXO

Mark in DE said...

I've always loved the Mary Tyler Moore Show! As you noted, the characters were rich but were made even better by solid actors. Why isn't MTM Show in reruns somewhere?

gigi-hawaii said...

I agree. Betty White is also fantastic on game shows!

Unknown said...

Caught the trailer for the new movie- love the breast hunt"Oh there they are". Interesting how she went from the bittersweet sarcastic role on Mary Tyler to the bimbo role on Golden Girls. I prefer her feisty and a tad off color. In her Roast on Comedy Central she was that old "I can dish it as well as I can take it" mode and I loved it. of course in Golden Girls she did have her occasional come back lines that were pretty cutting.