Thursday, July 23, 2009

Suggestions

I'm getting ready to begin my research for an HDTV. What do some of you have that you'd recommend? I haven't let myself buy one until I got the den decluttered and organized. It's one of the few times my own behavior modification has worked on me. It will be a while before I can get it because I'm just now beginning on the den, and several of you would pass out if you saw it. Trust me on this. It's bad. I'm not even sure I can show you "before" pictures so you can tell the miraculous difference when I do it. David saw my before and after pictures of the living/dining room, but he's a kindred spirit in this. I think I sent them to Charlie, too, but he loves me anyway.

So, I'm thinking LCD instead of plasma. The new LED's are way expensive from what I can tell but should I go with one of those? From what I've read, I need to go look at them in the store and compare to see which looks best to me. I'd planned to do that anyway. What about resolution? I know that matters but don't know about those numbers. I watch a lot of TV and DVDs and will enjoy one. I think my TV looks good until I go to my mother's and see her HDTV. Big difference!

Any suggestions?

Update: Are LED's the same as plasmas? I thought they were different. I had planned to get an LCD. That's what my mother and cousin have. Thanks for the comments. Mostly I wanted to know what you have and how you like it and what you might not do again or something. Thanks again.

9 comments:

Miss Ginger Grant said...

I have an large LCD from JVC and I love it. I don't know anyone who has a plasma... most people I know are going wtih LCD since they can make them almost as large as a plasma now.

Bob said...

We have a Panasonic LCD. I've heard not-so-ggod stories from people who have plasmas that the screen can sometimes have ghost images of prior watchings on it.

the dogs' mother said...

Gorilla Boy said there is a difference in what you should get if you are a news junkie like his mother. I keep MSNBC on all day so I can catch the latest story. Something about a $500 bulb(?) only lasting a thousand hours? I'll get him to clarify once he appears out of his cave which is about six hours from now.

Beth said...

We have a Phillips Ambilight, which is plasma. We've had none of the issues that Bob mentioned, but the sucker is HEAVY. We love it, though, and we watch a lot of sports and movies...you'll enjoy it, too!

Anonymous said...

We have a 52 inch Sony Bravia HD-TV. It is not plasma.

Jazzy said...

You might check with Hannah for some opinions. She did a major research with many discussions among her geek co-workers and came up with a really good deal on a very good flat screen set with an excellent picture.

Mark in DE said...

Plasmas are heavy and too thick to hang on the wall.

DLP TV's pictures aren't good if you're not directly in front of the TV (ie: viewing from an angle distorts).

LCD is definitely the way to go. Light, wall-mountable, viewable from any angle.

We bought our Toshiba Regza from ShopNBC. Yes, we bought a TV from watching the TV! The retail stores can't beat their prices AND they let you pay monthly payments with no interest while you watch your TV. They ship directly to your house so you don't have to try and fit the big TV into your car or strain your back getting it into your house.

Joy said...

Thank you, Mark!! That's the kind my cousin Sally has. She loves it. That sounds like the way to go buying it online where they'll deliver it. Very helpful! :-)

Unknown said...

Plasma gives off a lot of heat...uses a lot of energy. LCd is best bet from what i've heard. then you have to be careful about resolution....and a lot of other things. I was going to buy from Walmart but the clerk told me stuff ( I don't totally understand) that his stock could not do and suggested I go to their other store in the area. Seems like a lot of compatibility issues