Thursday, July 30, 2009

Adam

As most of you know, my grandson Brendan has Asperger's, which is on the autism spectrum. You can google it or check this site HERE. I've written about it on here, so you can use the search function if you'd like, too. Basically, some of the characteristics are stereotypical "nerd" and "geek" qualities that Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory is the poster boy for. I just discovered that a movie has a main character with Asperger syndrome and copied the description of it and a trailer for it. I'm going to see it and hope it's good.

A lonely, brilliant young man named Adam (Hugh Dancy), who has Asperger syndrome, develops an awkward relationship with his upstairs neighbor, the brainy yet beautiful writer Beth (Rose Byrne). Adam is both written and directed by Max Mayer. This movie premiered at the Sundance Film Festival , which won the Alfred P. Sloan prize for a feature film with science as a theme. Searchlight is bringing Adam to limited theaters starting on July 29th this summer.


ADAM: Movie Trailer - The funniest videos are a click away

7 comments:

#Debi said...

Oh, that looks like a good movie. I hope it comes here.

mrs.missalaineus said...

i've worked with some aspi kids/ adults and if i sat down with my dr. she could most likely put me somewhere on the spectrum too. it's good to see that more is being done to raise public awareness about autism, working against the misconception that all people on the spectrum are like rainman.

just like all people with ocd are not fringe straighteners, not everyone with autism flaps and twirls.



xxalainaxx

Eric Arvin said...

That film is getting excellent reviews. Some are even citing Hugh Dancy, who plays Adam, as a possible Best Actor frontrunner.

Bob said...

I saw Hugh and Rose on The View yesterday. The film looks really good. I'd heard of Aspergers but didn't know there was a connection to autism. I hope the movie comes somewhere near Smallville.

Side note: Hugh Dancy is dee-lish-us-ness.

Rhea said...

I am writing a story right now on autism and its growing visibility in pop culture like the film "Adam." I am interviewing experts on autism. Learning a lot.

Beth said...

I first heard of Asperger's several years ago on an NPR broadcast. It was very informative and interesting, and I was happy to learn about it. If we meet someone we think is awfully strange, we need to remember that there may be underlying conditions that we don't know about.

By the way, I love The Big Bang Theory. It's one of my favorite shows!

Unknown said...

and we add to our libraries again. I'll be watching for it.