Sunday, July 19, 2009

Another RIP

Oh no! Frank McCourt died today! He's the Pulitzer Prize winning author of memoirs Angela's Ashes, 'Tis, and Teacher Man. I read them all and was inspired by his teaching and writing and am sad that he's gone. He was 78.


Walter Cronkite died earlier this week on July 17 at 92. I grew up hearing the news from him and David Brinkley and Chet Huntley. If Walter Cronkite said something, I believed it. He was one of a kind.


Every week at least one more well-known person dies!

7 comments:

David Dust said...

Oh no!!! 2009 has not been a good year for celebrities.

xoxoxoxoxo

David Dust said...

Check out this...

http://kwanawrites.blogspot.com/2009/07/thank-you-mr-mccourt.html

Kwana is a Dust Bunny who was taught by "Mr. McCourt" at Styvesant High School.

XOXOXOXOXO

#Debi said...

I met Frank McCourt a few years ago when he came to speak at EKU (when 'Tis came out). He was not happy when I asked him about his relationship with his brother Malachi (whose book I preferred). Even so, he was a very good writer. Sorry to hear about his death...

Book Lover said...

So sad--more bits and pieces of my cultural life slipping away!

Anonymous said...

I loved Frank McCourt's writing style and read his 3 memoirs. I thought Tis was very well written and could not understand why it was not as popular as Angela's Ashes. Both books made me weep. So sorry about his passing.

Rhea said...

This reminds me that I want to read one of McCourt's books.

Richard Wintle said...

Blast. I really enjoyed McCourt's books, but I guess he was older than I thought. Ah well, the literature is the legacy.