Sunday, July 12, 2009

ER

Melissa called this morning to let me know that Brian was going to the ER because he thinks he has appendicitis. Turns out he was right. I went to the hospital and so did Sally, so we stayed there with him while he had some tests. The CT scan confirmed that he needed an appendectomy. I got to spend some time with him, and then Sally and I went to their house to get Melissa and Brendan because Brian drove to the ER. Then Sally stayed with Brendan while Melissa and I went to the room where they moved Brian in preparation for surgery.

I brought Brendan home with me to stay for a couple of days. I wanted to be in two places at once, but this was the most helpful I could be. I know it was just an appendectomy, but something can go wrong with anything, and besides this is my beamish boy. I hated to leave him there, but of course his wife was with him and I was making that possible. A hospital is no place for children for many reasons.

Melissa called about an hour ago to let me know he had the surgery at 7:00 and made it fine. His hot surgeon said that's the way he likes them to be. Brian's pain wasn't that bad, and he went early enough that the surgery went really well.

He'll probably get to go home tomorrow, and Brendan will stay here with me until Tuesday and maybe Wednesday. His surgeon said he'd need to be off work for about a week.

Quite a day! And it's my mother's 89th birthday.

14 comments:

David Dust said...

Dearest Auntie Flame -

Oh my goodness!! I am so glad that Brian is ok.

You are a good Grandmama for taking Brendan so your DIL could spend time as the hospital. I know it must have been hard for you to be away from your baby while he was having the operation.

If there is anything I can do, you know how to reach me.

Love & Hugs,

David

Anonymous said...

Being in the hospital is no fun, that's for sure. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

mrs.missalaineus said...

glad your son had the sense to go in when he got something was wrong--also glad he is okay. i love what you've done with your place here- that pic of the river reminds me of the mighty connecticut.


xxalainaxx

Oxy said...

Prayers from this side of the Worlde, looks as though Brian will be OK, which is good news. Great of you to look after your grandson. You're right, a hospital is no place for a child. Get better soon conickBrian!

Oky said...

Ignore the conick it, that was the word verification bit, and somehow got into my message!

#Debi said...

"Hot surgeon", eh? ;)

Glad to know he's doing well. Appendectomies are no fun.

Miss Ginger Grant said...

We are all relieved to know the surgery went well! And I'm sure Brian and Melissa are relieved knowing Brendan is in familiar, capable hands!

Ms. Moon said...

Yes. Glad to know it went well and that he went to the hospital in a timely manner.
Happy birthday to your mother and have fun with that little boy. You are a good mother, a good grandmother.

Dan said...

Glad he is well, now lets get back to the hot surgeon part!

the dogs' mother said...

Had one of those, after a week he should be tap dancing :-)

Joy said...

Yes, after discussing the surgeon after he left the room, Sally and I decided we have some abdominal pain. I definitely think I need to go with Brian in two weeks when he has his follow-up appointment with the surgeon.

Joy said...

Thanks to all of you for the good wishes!

Brendan and I are having a good time.

Mark in DE said...

Glad to hear Brian's surgery went well, and that he was not in great pain.

Any chance you snapped a camera phone picture of his "hot surgeon"???

Unknown said...

Grandma's are the best. I totally understand Brendan's little hopeful query.
wonderful support group you've gathered in your lifetime. Speaks highly of you.
xoxo Charlie