Friday, April 10, 2009

Tornado

I'm OK, and as far as I know, things are fine around here. There was a tornado in Murfreesboro where my cousin Sally lives. She and some of her co-workers were at lunch when it went by the restaurant. It's the first tornado she's ever seen. I've never seen one and would like to leave it at that. Houses were completely demolished, trees down, and people hospitalized and some missing. A mother and 3-month old baby were killed in their home when it was destroyed. A woman went to check on her house and found her dog dead under a tree. Severe thunderstorms and hailstorms swept the state. Some areas are without electricity and water. There's some flooding, too. Pictures on the news are scary. This was taken on the same street where Sally and her friends had lunch. She didn't take it. I found it online here from The Murfreesboro Post.


If you check our local NBC affiliate WSMV News website, you'll noticed several items about Dan Miller, a very popular news anchor who died from a heart attack last night in Augusta, Georgia, while he was at the Masters with friends. He is an institution in Nashville, and he and Demetria Kalodimas were a wonderful team for almlost 20 years. She said he was her best friend and like a big brother. Dan went to L.A. for a while and was the sidekick on the short-lived Pat Sajak Show while it was on. Pat was the weatherman on our local NBC station and Dan the anchor. We hoped Dan would enjoy his career in L.A. but were thrilled when he came back. He and his family felt like part of our family after all those years.

7 comments:

the dogs' mother said...

Glad you and yours are okay. Been a very scary day via the TV. I've only been in two tornado warnings, which I think were the only two we've *ever* had in the PNW but that was scary enough.

Sylvia K said...

Happy to hear that you're okay! Being from Texas I've lived through several tornados and they are terrifying and do wreak havoc.

Bob said...

Glad you're okay Joy.
We have tornado watches going on right now, but so far all is good.
We're keeping our fingers crossed.

#Debi said...

We had several sightings of tornadoes all around Lexington, but just lots of rain and scary thunder here. There was a report of a tornado in the county my mom lives in, and when I called to check on her, I got no answer for an hour or two. Finally got hold of her, and she said everything was fine, the "tornado" sighting was exaggerated, and she and Dad had just been out to dinner...

Have to say, it *was* great weather for a Good Friday...

David Dust said...

I'm happy to hear that you are alright. And thanks for telling us about "Dan". When I went to your news site I wondered who he was and what happened to him.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Angel said...

I'm glad you're all right...that twister looks huge and scary!

Unknown said...

I thought tornadoes were the hurricanes of the East, and twisters were something unique in category.
of course when I worry about you most is during times like these storms when you decide to go into a silent non writing spell. Good thing you clued me into blogging so i know you're alive and not in the hospital somewhere.