Thursday, April 30, 2009

Spoiler Alert in the Last Paragraph

I've been spending time with vampires and werewolves lately by reading the first two books of the Twilight series. My granddaughter Kari loves those books and has read them and seen the movie several times. She wanted the boxed set of hardbacks and for me to read them, too, so I told her I'd order them, read the series, and then give them to her for her birthday. She was all for that.

I'm getting into the story after a slow start. It took reading over half the first book for me to get caught up in the story. Stephenie Meyer isn't anywhere close to the writer that J. K. Rowling is. Rowling is a wonderful writer and an excellent storyteller. Nothing has captivated me the way Harry Potter has since reading them, and I don't even like fantasy literature.

Meyer's series is basically a romance novel with all the complications and sappy parts that are gaggy. I don't like romance novels but have read some and know the format. Well, actually fiction is supposed to introduce a situation with characters who experience one damned thing after another until a resolution is reached. Good fiction gives readers what they want in ways they don't expect it. Fishing is an effective analogy for writing fiction. Hook the fish, give it some line so it can take off a bit, reel it back in, let it back out a little, and keep this up until the fish is landed. Writing is manipulative, and we participate in it as long as the writer holds our interest. Meyer has kept me interested most of the time. I care about Bella, the main character, and am reminded that she is a teenager and makes decisions typically the way they do. I've spent most of my professional life teaching teenagers and know how they can be. I also remember how that all-encompassing passion can be.


I'm going to have to give this more thought about the effect of this story on teenage girls. When we taught Romeo and Juliet, it provided an opportunity to discuss suicide as a permanent solution to a temporary situation and not something that needs to be romanticized. This novel has similarities to Romeo and Juliet and even has Bella make those comparisons. I also warned girls against those "for the love of a good woman" stories and movies because when you're dating him is about the best he's going to be. Don't marry someone thinking you'll change him. It can and has happened, but it's mostly grist for the fiction mill. I'd think that being in love with a vampire would be the ultimate bad boy, no matter how much he restrains himself. The main appeal of Edward the vampire and Jacob the werewolf is that someone is always there to protect her and care about her no matter what. That's pretty heady stuff. Mere mortals can't compete. So of course Bella wants to be turned into a vampire. I'll stay tuned to see how that turns out, finish the series, and see what I think about the other two. So far, this is my take on them.

12 comments:

Wonder Man said...

you should read the true blood series, you might like it

Joy said...

I've been watching it on HBO and feel scared. LOL I'm not a fan of vampire stories and have never read Anne Rice. Also don't read horror and have skipped Stephen King, et al. I might eventually read those Sookie Stackhouse novels but am just reading these because of my granddaughter.

the dogs' mother said...

From what I hear True Blood is a more amped up version of Sookie Stackhouse. Read the books but don't have HBO.

Interesting take on the Twilight series. Have not read it, as same as you, I don't do romance. I have one friend who has read it and loved it. Daughter and her friend tried them and didn't like the first one and didn't read anymore. Vampires DON'T sparkle!

They did try the movie and thought it was okay.

Both daughter and I had to be talked into reading Harry Potter and now we are both big fans. We have bought many of the books from Canada so we can have the original spellings, punctuation and words.

Joy said...

I want to get the British versions, too, and have planned to get them from Amazon Canada. Is that where you got yours?

#Debi said...

Have you read any of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series? It's technically romance, but with a good bit of fantasy and history mixed in. The writing is really good, though, and hooked me in quickly. I've read them several times...

Dan said...

Auntie Flame, the last book is by far the best book in the series. I am reading the True Blood series now, much better!

Unknown said...

I like your excellent essay with the little side lessons on what fiction is or should be.I don't like romance novels either and few if any fantaasy, though i love science fiction. I am into vampire stuff- it is all about the price for immortality. Ann rice I think was the first to make them vulnerable to destruction other than simply a beheading and a stake to the heart( and daylight of course)
Great post

逆援助 said...

セレブ達は一般の人達とは接する機会もなく、その出会う唯一の場所が「逆援助倶楽部」です。 男性はお金、女性はSEXを要求する場合が多いようです。これは女性に圧倒的な財力があるから成り立つことの出来る関係ではないでしょうか?

救援部 said...

貴方のオ○ニーライフのお手伝い、救援部でHな見せたがり女性からエロ写メ、ムービーをゲットしよう!近所の女の子なら実際に合ってHな事ができちゃうかも!?夏に向けて開放的になっている女の子と遊んじゃおう

出会い said...

急に時間が出来ても友達はみんなカレシと一緒でかまってくれません…アタシと遊んでくれる人メール下さい☆ a.a-mai@docomo.ne.jp

逆援交際 said...

会員制の逆援交際倶楽部では男性は無料、一日最低額10万円保障での交際をお求めできます。ご登録された女性様達はセレブであるがための悩みをそれぞれの方が持ち、皆様、男性との営みを求め、ご登録されております。彼女たちとの初々しい一時をお楽しみ、謝礼をいただいてくださいませ。会員制ですので人数に限りがあるため、打ち切りの場合はご了承ください

家出 said...

家出中でネットカフェやマンガ喫茶にいる女の子たちは、お金が無くなり家出掲示板で今晩泊めてくれる男性を探しています。ご飯を食べさせてあげたり泊めてあげることで彼女たちはHなお礼をしてくれる事が多いようです