Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Imagine Peace Tower

I saw this on Eric's blog and just had to share it with you. It's the Imagine Peace Tower in Iceland, which is a tribute to John Lennon and to peace and was dedicated on the anniversary of his 67th birthday October 9, 2007. It's an outdoor work of art conceived by Yoko in memory of John, and it's powered by geothermal energy.

IMAGINE PEACE TOWER is currently only illuminated on the following dates:

09 Oct - 08 Dec
21 Dec - 28 Dec
31 Dec
21 Mar - 28 Mar
John’s birthday to death day
Winter equinox
New Year’s Eve
Spring equinox (J&Y’s Honeymoon)

Here is the website with photos, videos, and information about it. Please check it out! It's fascinating! There's a live cam on there, so you might want to check it out when it's night in Iceland.

Doesn't Sean look like a shorter, wider version of his father in this photo? I did a double-take!


Sean Lennon, Yoko Ono Lennon, Ringo Starr, and Olivia Harrison
at the unveiling of IMAGINE PEACE TOWER,
Viðey Island, Reykjavík, Iceland. (photo: TetsuRo Hamada)

The words IMAGINE PEACE are inscribed on the Well in 24 different languages.

6 comments:

David Dust said...

I had never heard of this before, but it reminds me of the "Tribute in Light" they do every year on Sept. 11 at Ground Zero. I LOVE those lights every year for some reason - there is just something so powerful yet simple about light just shooting up into the sky.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

btw - In response to my "I didn't get invited" post - how would you like to be my publicist? You could spend all day on the phone saying "Don't you know who he IS?!?!!" :)

Bob said...

I saw this at Towleroad, and then again at Daventry Blue.
It really is something spectacular, and instantly reminded me of the Ground Zero Tributes.

the dogs' mother said...

This was the first time I could get through to the site. Must have a lot of traffic.

P.S. As your secretary I drafted a letter to be sent to Logos.

Joy said...

I hadn't heard of it, either, until I saw it on Daventry Blue (Eric's blog). It fascinates me. Yoko is 75 and looks fit and healthy and much younger. I'm going to check it out on that live cam.

Joy said...

Where's your letter, FP? We need to publicize David!

the dogs' mother said...

In the comments under his post about the party that they had for RuPaul at a bar right near his apartment and didn't invite him! The noive!