Saturday, March 21, 2009

Falling for the Jersey Boys

We had a great time watching Jersey Boys! All those songs brought back memories, and the story of their career was informative and entertaining. I didn't know a lot about their lives. If you get a chance to see it, please do. I had no idea Joe Pesci was a friend of theirs. The Jersey code of conduct was a thread that ran throughout the play - loyalty, hand-shake contracts, honor (among thieves at times), and some contacts similar to Tony Soprano.



The only bad part of the evening happened when we left and walked down the steps of TPAC to go to the car. The last step inclines from being level with the sidewalk to gradually becoming a step. As I thought I was stepping onto the sidewalk, I lost my balance because there was some step there. I made a three-point landing on my left hand and right knee and hip. It was so weird because it all seemed to go in slow motion as the brick sidewalk came toward me. It was as if I slowly realized I was falling.

It scared Tina to death, and then a crowd gathered around me asking if I were hurt and if I hit my head. I looked up and assured them that I didn't hit my head and that after Natasha Richardson's fall, I appreciated their concern. They reached to help me up, and I also grabbed the stair rail and managed to get up. I told them it was my knee and hip mostly but that I could walk. So nothing is broken or bleeding. I put a bag of frozen peas on my knee and then some liniment wherever I thought I needed it. I already take an anti-inflammatory every day. My back hurts between my shoulder blades and also below them. I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow. Thank goodness it wasn't worse!

I'll stay off ladders!

6 comments:

Bob said...

I'm a tripper myself Joy.
Once I broke an ankle stepping off a curb!
Once while walking the dog I tripped on a pebble the size of an unpopped kernel of corn and fell face first in the middle of the street, literally stopping traffic!
Once....oh well, you get the gist.
Take care of yourself and rest easy.
And do stay off ladders. My Dad isn't allowed on them unless someone is there with him!

Bob
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Bob said...

Oh yeah...forgot to say: Glad you had a good time!

David Dust said...

Auntie Flame -

First of all - don't make me come down there and wrap you in Bubble Wrap!! OMG - don't scare me like this!!!

Secondly - I'm glad you seem to be ok. But if you still have pain in a few days, you should have the Doctor check it out. Maybe he can run some of those TESTS you like so much!!

Thirdly, I'm glad you enjoyed Jersey Boys. J.B. is still the most popular show on Broadway (along with Wicked - of all things). You still have to wait months to get good seats for Jersey Boys.

Now, please go and start lining your home with soft, fluffy pillows ... just in case...

XOXOXOXOXOXO

ell said...

Take care of yourself today, Joy -- maybe a big hot bubble bath?

If Jersey Boys ever come this way, I'd like to see it. Those songs bring back memories (fond and not so fond) of high school.

Jazzy said...

Oh my! I'm so sorry you fell but happy you did not hit your head what with all the headlines lately. David's advise sounds wise. I hope you are resting today. Is Bridgett trying to help you feel better?

The Jersey Boys sound great! Sorry I didn't get tickets for it, maybe when it comes again. Did you all find the parking garage? I got your message too late as I didn't get home until about 8:15pm last night. Had to go straight from work out to Dad's stopping to get some groceries for him.

I'll check with you later to see how you are doing after your fall. I'll be late getting home from work tonight also.

If you feel like it, check out the Blaylock photos of Sylvia, Dickson Co, and Nashville....awesome!
Take good care of you!
From your sister clutz!

Unknown said...

Now I'm caught up a little. Leave dancing on the stairs since you can't manage steps, to Fred Astaire ( who obviously didn't survive it). I don't know how you might do with walls and rainy sidewalks, but i wouldn't risk it.I think even Gene kelly used an umbrella for balance.