Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Timing

As I told students who complained about singled out and berated because they continued to talk after the others got quiet when I asked them to, "Timing is everything." It is, you know. Think about how many events in your life would have changed if only parts of them had happened earlier or later. There are people we wouldn't have met, accidents we wouldn't have had, accidents we would have had, appointments we'd missed or made, situations that would have been different, and on it goes. It falls under the category of Might Have Been that can drive a person crazy if dwelled on too much. Most of the time we don't think about timing, but if you look back, you can see how the path led you where you are now. Interesting, isn't it?

Clock Explosion - Salvador Dali Pictures, Images and Photos

4 comments:

Bob said...

I agree completely.
I actually wrote on my blog about meeting Carlos, and that there was a new Bob and an old Bob.
New Bob met Carlos because the timing was perfect.
Old Bob would have missed the boat.

Sylvia K said...

Timing is indeed everything! So make the most of what you have and enjoy! Have a great a great holiday!

David Dust said...

I always think of how different my life would be if I would have stayed in Pennsylvania and not moved to NYC. After I gave notice at my PA job, my boss told me that I was up for a promotion into the PR office (a job I really wanted). I moved to NYC anyway (with NO pre-arranged job at all), and the rest is history.

XOXOXOXO

Jimbo said...

Oh I think about that often! All things happen for a reason. I think about how, after a long time spending my Saturdays at home watching TV, I ventured out one night and not knowing a soul, I walked into a bar. I had a decent enough time that I did it the next week and ran into Dan. I kept going back, Dan did too and one night we just started talking. I can't imagine my life without him. That's the example that comes to mind at the moment.

Great post!