Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sad News

Brian called this morning to let me know that my ex-husband died at 7:45 this morning from renal cell carcinoma. He was an important part of my life for many years and is Brian's father. Even though I didn't want to stay married to him, I have lots of good memories from our time together. Brian and Melissa are flying to Tampa Saturday afternoon for visitation Sunday and the funeral Monday. Brendan will stay here with me. If the weather reports are accurate, and we get all this snow they're predicting, this could be difficult to manage since I can't get out of my neighborhood when it snows very much. There are hills in every direction with not enough room to get a running start. The street in front of my house goes to the by-pass down a very steep hill, which I've always elected not to try. So I hope weather conditions cooperate, so they can get Brendan here Saturday evening and pick him up Monday evening.

This is really sad. Brian's doing pretty well and was prepared for how bad this was even though we're never totally prepared for this.

16 comments:

Sylvia K said...

I'm so sorry, Joy! This is sad regardless of the relationship. I do hope the weather cooperates a little. No one is ever fully prepared for this kind of news. My thoughts are with you and your son.
Take care!

Sylvia

David Dust said...

So sorry to hear this. Please send Brian my condolences.

And BE CAREFUL if it snows!!!!

XOXOXOXOXO

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear the news, but how fantastic of you to maintain the good memories. My thoughts are for you and your family, both because the loss, and the coming snow. Take care, babe.

Wonder Man said...

Sorry to hear that, I hope you are okay

the dogs' mother said...

Good thoughts to you. Hope your time with Brendan is fun (and safe).

Kyle Leach said...

Joy, I'm really sorry. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts. Take care of yourself.

Mistress Maddie said...

Any time someone leaves our lives it is very sad. My thoughts are with you Auntie!

Joy said...

Thank you so much, everyone! I appreciate your kind words and comfort more than you know.

Ken Riches said...

Sorry for the loss, and especially sorry for your son.

Joy said...

He's doing pretty well now, but it hasn't sunk in yet. Thanks, Ken. Me, too.

Beth said...

My condolences, Joy, to all of you.

mrs.missalaineus said...

joy my heart goes out to your family during this difficult time.

xxalainaxx

#Debi said...

I think maybe it hasn't fully hit you yet, either. Peace to you and your family. Losing someone who was a major player in your life is rough, even if you were better apart than together.

Mark in DE said...

I think I understand how you might feel. When my ex passed away last year I was sad. Although I'd chosen not to remain with him, that didn't negate the good times we'd had together. Accept the loss; feel your pain. Don't judge yourself for what you feel or don't feel.

Hugs to you.

SteveA said...

My thoughts are with you - just hold on to the memories!

Sam said...

sad sad. my prayers