Friday, January 8, 2010

COLD

Today was our coldest day we've had in seven years. The high was 18 which is 27 degrees below average, they just said on the news. I thought we'd had cold days but guess they were in the 20's. We used to have colder winters and more snow. It would be in the teens and even get below zero at times. Not often but it has. Winters have been mild for the most part for the last several years with a few really cold weeks. It's supposed to be 8 tonight and stay below freezing until Monday when they say it will be 40.

I had to go out and bring in the big trash container the city provides us and get the mail. It was a bitter cold I felt in my bones. I was careful rolling the bin up the driveway and walking to the mailbox so I wouldn't fall. It's been randomly flurrying all day and might again tomorrow. I keep turning up the heat and am warm in the den where the gas log fireplace is.

I realize this isn't as cold as it is during most of the winters some of you have, but it is here, and I'm complaining! I used to prefer cold weather to hot but have changed. Moderate weather is still my choice, and I'd love to live where it's spring and fall weather all the time. Where is that?

Living in Canada, Scandinavia, Vermont, or some other place where I could be surrounded by people who think more like I do than the way it is here isn't an option for me now. Can't handle the cold there and don't want to live where they speak in "below" for weeks and months. It would be so nice otherwise, though.

9 comments:

mrs.missalaineus said...

vancouver, bc!

vermont gets 3x the snow i get here in michigan- i grew up on the VT/NH MASS state line, in northfield mass and i remember sleeping in my SNOWSUIT to stay warm, as well as climbing up a snowbank as high as the swingset to play at recess.

xxalainaxx

the dogs' mother said...

If you live in Canada you have to put up with the endless futzing that is living in a bilingual country.

Sylvia K said...

Our winter in Seattle last year was the coldest, snowiest in nearly 30 years, but this year the temps are fairly mild, it's just gray and wet and that tends to make you think that it is colder than it is. I caught a brilliant sunrise yesterday and it was gone behind grim looking clouds in a matter of minutes after I got some gorgeous shots???? Who knows! Have a great weekend and stay warm!

Sylvia

Mistress Maddie said...

Well Auntie Flame, it's cold here too. Today again, it was only around 19 with a messy ride to work with 2 inches of snow. I don't mind the cold-until I have to walk Buster and then it's like a ordeal to just get ready with layers of clothes just to take a walk. I do like all the lit candles though and I also drink hot toddies!!!!!!!!!

Oxy said...

I believe that the Global Warming Conference in Copenhagen must have achieved something - it's cold everywhere; here in the UK, it's 25 and the coldest for 30 years, and even in Florida it's 30 at night with some snow promised in the Tampa Bay area. Gadzooks!
I read about your log fire Joy, and set about having one here. After a few minutes my wife 'reminded' me that we do not have a fireplace....

Bob said...

It was 15 this morning, but by Wednesday we'll hit 55 for the high and 32 for the low.
Feels like summer!

Sam said...

Vegas has three mild season's, then the devil turns the heat up. Remember it's a dry heat. Joy you need to move to San Diego, or Hawaii. The weather in these two places is always perfect.

Unknown said...

Single digits here in Maine.Bitter. just holding on for that famous January thaw we get every year. Its arrival is never predictable but always just before we go out and stand under the icicles begging for the end.

Mark in DE said...

Bundle up and try to stay cozy!