Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Sort of Social

I went to a party Saturday night where I didn't know anyone except the one who invited me. One of the women in our knitting circle works at Vanderbilt and invited me to the Christmas party hosted by doctors she works for and with in the psychiatric department. It was held at the home of one of them who renovated a beautiful home on the historic register. HERE is a photo and information about it. It was a lovely house with fireplaces in all the rooms, many beautifully decorated Christmas trees, and food in every room prepared by caterers and served on festively appointed tables. There were lots of people there.

Soon after we entered the house, this guy introduced himself to us and said he and the host whose house we were in had been friends since they were in school in Memphis. He is a pediatric dentist and gay. We hit it off really well and spent most of the party on a couch chatting away. He's been with his partner for 20 years. This worked out well because I was enjoying the conversation, and Yvonne could mingle and talk with people she knew. She came by and checked on me periodically, and I got up and walked around the house several times. Mostly I enjoyed the conversation there on the sofa.

Week before last I had lunch with my friend Janey and her good friend John. They are both law professors in Australia. Janey is from here, but he is from Australia. She's been there around 20 years and really likes it there. We all went to McKay's and Hot Kabobs last week and had another good visit. They told me another reason to like living in Australia - no tipping! That would be nice.

They went to Publix with me since I like to stop in when I'm in the area to get this bread I like they bake there that has oats on the top. They said they don't have all those choices there and instead of shelves of maple syrup there might be two kinds. John said, "Land of plenty and Americans do it better than anybody." I enjoyed our conversations and had a great time. I'm saving for a trip there and hope I can go in a couple of years.

11 comments:

Bob said...

There used to be a very fun Christmas party I'd go to in Sacramento that is very much like the one you described. Fabulous old house; great food; festive. It always feels a little more like Christmas to me in an old house.

Anonymous said...

Well, I don’t know what restaurants your friends visit in Australia, but I generally tip if the service is good, which it almost always is here in Melbourne. Perhaps they’re from Sydney or some other uncivilized part of the country.

Peter Tibbles

Dan said...

leave it to you Auntie Flame to find the gays and hit it off!!!

the dogs' mother said...

When we lived in northern Canada almost all of our teachers were immigrants from former British holdings - Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Kenya. They were a lot of fun and full of interesting information, customs and stories.

Joy said...

That's right, Bob. Old houses do feel Christmasy and even more festive when decorated - especially the tasteful way he did it.

Well, Peter, guess I'd better check out the tipping customs more closely, and he is from Sydney. (funny you said that) They live in Adelaide. Now to hear from Kim in Perth. Janey's ex-husband is from Melbourne. What about tipping porters who put your luggage in your room or on the taxi, taxi drivers, and all those others who do various things? I'd enjoy hearing your perspective on the various parts of Australia. Do you have a blog? If not, could you tell us here?

I knew you'd say that, Dan! The other hosts and owner of the house were all gay, but most of the guests were not. I actually thought about you when I was talking to him and could just hear you saying that! :-) (even though I've never heard your voice)

What a great experience and education in itself that was, Froggy!

Sam said...

Sounds like you had a ball of a time. I would be terrified to go to a social and not know anyone. The house is beautiful.

Wonder Man said...

I am glad you made it work.

Anonymous said...

Joy, I don’t have a blog as such, however, I write the weekly music column for Ronni over at TimeGoesBy.
As for tipping porters and the like, I don’t use them as I live here – you tend not to need their services when you’re in your own home city. I do tip taxi drivers. Of course I’ve spent some considerable time in America so maybe I caught the habit there.
Peter Tibbles

SteveA said...

That conversation with the dentist sounds like it would have been interesting! I love having such at parties - I have not had one for a while. 20 yrs? - wow!

Mark in DE said...

How delightful that you met a kindred spirit at that party! The house is lovely from the outside so I can hardly imagine how beautiful it must have been all decorated for Christmas.

I, too, would love to go on a trip to Australia.

Marilyn said...

I'd love to see Janie. Haven't seen her in 15 years, I guess. She used to call me when she came home. I'm glad to know she's doing well.