Sunday, May 31, 2009

Nostalgia

I've been spending time reminiscing with former students from North Charleston High School where I began my teaching career. At first I found Lily on Facebook and enjoy being in touch with her. Then I discovered a message on her "wall" from another student I had in forensics (speech & drama) but not in class. Anyway, now I'm in touch with three of them - Lily, David, and Reggie - and also found a NOCHAS group that's been so much fun. One thing led to another, and I finally found my yearbook from the last year I was there and scanned a few photos from it to the group and to my FB photos. This is what I've been doing while some of you were at the DDBW and others were outside enjoying the pretty weather.

One thing I remember the most is what an amazing student council they had there. They actually did something. The officers had responsibilities and were leaders. There was a Hall Patrol who caught students running, shoving, walking in the wrong lane, chewing gum, etc. If they broke a school rule, the Hall Patrol wrote them up, and they were automatically guilty. The Honor Council ruled on those infractions as well as cheating and meted out punishment. Mostly they did janitorial work, but cheaters had to attend some meetings, I think. It was effective to have their peers deal with some of this. Additionally, they had a Safety Council, Devotions Committee, and Public Relations Group. I tried to convince the principal where I taught here to implement some of these responsibilities, but he wouldn't relinquish any control over to the students. It worked there, and these students became outstanding citizens. People usually rise to the expectations we have of them.

Something really funny that Bob and Larry did was to make up quotes for the Quote of the Week. They had real ones and worked those in, too. They made up names for the authors of these quotes and presented me with a booklet of these quotes when I left. My son Brian was born in September, 1969, so the spring of the 1968-69 year was when I left. My husband (ex now) was in the Navy and got out the next spring, so we moved back to TN. Brian and I came back in January and stayed with my parents and flew to Charleston to meet him when his plane brought him back from his last patrol on the submarine. Brian was seven months old, and we made the trip pretty well, even changing planes in Atlanta with a short layover.

This is how I looked when I taught there. I was 25 in this picture that I scanned from the yearbook and enlarged. That's when hair pieces and falls were in style. Wish I had some pictures of me in those! It's the only way I could have long, straight hair.


Y-Teens I helped sponsor. Wish I were still that size! I'm on the front row on the left in the bottom picture and second from the right standing in the top one. You can click to enlarge, and I was Mrs. Cooksey then.


Well, yes, they wrote in my yearbook. I made that dress I had on in these.

19 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

too friggin' cute!

the dogs' mother said...

Fun!

Earl said...

You are a real cutie in that photo, if I had been around I would have made you a star.

Sheena Shepard said...

You are extremely attractive in the pics just as you were at 38 when I met you!

Charleston Belle said...

Hey Joy, This takes me back in a flash to those good ole 60's days(at the Riviera Apartments). Thanks for sharing the memories!

Jimbo said...

Fantastic! Love the scans! What fun.

David Dust said...

Hello HOTTIE!!!!!

And you are every bit as cute today as you were back then.

Love You... Love Your Yearbook!!!

XOXOXOXO

Aled said...

DD has it right - Hottie! Or is that sexist? I'll duck if it is!

Dan said...

I would have had a teacher crush on you for sure!

Anonymous said...

Joy, you looked like a teenager, not 25. I have never tried Facebook, but I bet it's very addictive and time-consuming.

Joy said...

Gigi, I got stopped in the hall by a teacher asking why I was out of class my first year. I always got carded to check my ID for many years after I was 18. Parents said I looked like one of the students. It was a while before I caught up with my age.

Thank you, Doggy, David, Earl, Aled, and Dan, for the compliment!

Mistress Maddie said...

Joy- It was so nice to hear your voice the other night while in New York!!! We had honored you with a couple drinks. You know at Urges where we were getting "dronk"LOL! And boy were you quite the looker at 25 tootes! A lovely post!

Joy said...

It was great to hear the group voices and now I want to hear you all individually. Maybe soon! Also maybe I'll get to see you all in person soon. I hope so.

Thanks for the sweet compliment!

That's right - Urges where you were dronk! :-)

Unknown said...

What a knock out Joy. These picts are wonderful.You have added a lot of character and compassion and humanness to your good looks which change but never fade. Curious how far along our paths we were when we finally met. I've loved every minute of our adventure.
Love- Charles

逆援助 said...

セレブ達は一般の人達とは接する機会もなく、その出会う唯一の場所が「逆援助倶楽部」です。 男性はお金、女性はSEXを要求する場合が多いようです。これは女性に圧倒的な財力があるから成り立つことの出来る関係ではないでしょうか?

救援部 said...

貴方のオ○ニーライフのお手伝い、救援部でHな見せたがり女性からエロ写メ、ムービーをゲットしよう!近所の女の子なら実際に合ってHな事ができちゃうかも!?夏に向けて開放的になっている女の子と遊んじゃおう

出会い said...

急に時間が出来ても友達はみんなカレシと一緒でかまってくれません…アタシと遊んでくれる人メール下さい☆ a.a-mai@docomo.ne.jp

逆援交際 said...

会員制の逆援交際倶楽部では男性は無料、一日最低額10万円保障での交際をお求めできます。ご登録された女性様達はセレブであるがための悩みをそれぞれの方が持ち、皆様、男性との営みを求め、ご登録されております。彼女たちとの初々しい一時をお楽しみ、謝礼をいただいてくださいませ。会員制ですので人数に限りがあるため、打ち切りの場合はご了承ください

家出 said...

家出中でネットカフェやマンガ喫茶にいる女の子たちは、お金が無くなり家出掲示板で今晩泊めてくれる男性を探しています。ご飯を食べさせてあげたり泊めてあげることで彼女たちはHなお礼をしてくれる事が多いようです