Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Progreso

Next time I'm going on some excursions and packing differently. I over packed for one thing and would make a few different choices. You might have noticed a few "Glamour Don'ts" in the pictures. I'm also prepared now for the gauntlet of vendors that assault us when we get off the ship. It's sad and upsetting at the same time. I'd heard about it but wasn't prepared for how invasive and difficult it is. I didn't spend much time in Progreso but wish I'd been with Emma who found a tour for $15 and got to see flamingos, Mayan ruins, villas, local homes, and all kinds of places. I want to go back to several places in Mexico sometime when it's not so hot and when I can be there longer.

That bridge in the background is where we rode the bus since the ship has to dock about a mile from the shore. As soon as we got off the ship and went through the security gates, the vendors started trying to sell us things. They shout and call you over to buy whatever they are selling. We made our way to a table on the deck of a cafe and enjoyed being on land and looking at the Caribbean. The water really is as blue as you hear it is. Many shades of blue and just beautiful. We had Mexican Cokes. Notice that Diet Coke is Coca-Cola Light.














5 comments:

Bob said...

This set of photos makes me miss Miami.....well, maybe not Miami, but definitely Key West. I'm loving your photo-essay of your trip.

the dogs' mother said...

Love that blue water!

Kyle Leach said...

Yes the buying/bartering is part of the experience, one most could do without. The warm sands and tropical locals look inviting. That's probably because I don't have to feel the heat your had to.

Miss Ginger Grant said...

Mexican Cokes are made with pure cane sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup, and they are delicious! We can buy them here in Texas... for about three times the price of a regular coke!

PS... It's always that hot in Mexico... they have no winter!

Joy said...

Next time I'll try a real Mexican Coke instead of Diet. I didn't know that. I had that feeling about the weather.