Sunday, February 27, 2011

Awards Shows

The Oscars are on tonight, and I've never missed one yet.  I do like awards shows for some reason and like to see who wins, what they wear, who they are with, and how the show is put together.  So far I've seen the Golden Globes, SAG, BAFTA, and the Independent Spirit Awards, which are better some years than others.  They seem to revel in their independence by dressing in various degrees of casualness, holding the ceremony in a tent on the beach, and occasionally trying to be outrageous.  Last night wasn't so good.  They were all cold and complained about it and the humor was even more adolescent than usual.  Oh well.  What I like is learning about some movies I hadn't heard much about since they are Indie films.

My favorite movie awards show is BAFTA probably because I love British humor.  There's a bit of irreverence to the whole show but sincere gratitude for the awards.  A good mix.

I'll be on Twitter during the Oscars and will chat with any of you who are there, too.  I follow Roger Ebert, who always makes interesting comments on things.  It doesn't even bother me that it lasts a long time.   I have my Oscar ballot printed, so I can check the winners.  What predictions do any of you have?  This year I haven't seen many of the movies at all and just know what I've heard about them. 

Going to get some reading done for my classes before I watch the Oscars! 

2 comments:

Bob said...

Around our house, we call the Oscras The super Bowl.
Well, maybe it's just me!

the dogs' mother said...

We will be in place at 4pm when Tim Gunn covers the red carpet on ABC. Will have a number of snack foods and stuff - we don't do dinner! This is Daughter and Mom revenge for the neverending Super Bowl coverage the boys watched. bwa-ha-ha!