Friday, October 8, 2010

"I Love Mankind. It's People I Can't Stand."

I've been feeling that sentiment from the Peanuts character Linus quite often lately. Lots of encounters, comments, and items on the news have bothered me and gotten on my nerves. Glad I'm on blood pressure meds. I'm having a clumsy day. Last night my cat knocked over my bottle of water, so I cleaned that up. While ago I knocked over my Coke Zero and then my bottle of water myself. Sheesh!!

Dan and I are having a conversation on the comments section of his blog about part of it. I copied and pasted this in Facebook which I thought wasn't controversial but basically The Golden Rule and "judge not" which are part of the Bible some who call themselves Christians choose to ignore. I want to get the word out against bullying which was part of my job when I taught school.
1 in every 10 people born are gay. That means 1 in every 10 people are
instantly put down, given bad labels, left alone, put in a minority and
so much more... all for something they didn't ask for. Many gay teens are
committing suicide as a way of escaping. If you want to tell them life
will get better and you respect them for who they are, copy and paste
this.
So anyway, I got a comment from a former student Teabagger that I deleted. This is it:
Landon wrote: "Oh, I didn't realize that science had found "the gay gene" to prove that people were "born" gay.

My dear friend, with all due respect...it is a "choice"."
Well, he's not a friend and that wasn't respectful (all due or not). I ignored him and deleted it. Then I decided today to go to his FB page and wrote, "I see you are pro-choice." Having no sense of humor, Landon wrote: "Yes. I "choose" to believe in the teachings of the Bible." I replied, "I noticed. You pick and choose." He won't end there, but I will.

I was away from the computer for a while, and when I got back to it, I noticed all this activity that took place. Jim joins in and posted a few comments that Michelle (former girlfriend of my son's and still a friend of ours) who went to school with Jim (also a former student) made. He'd already deleted his comments by then, but I have them in my email. He also unfriended me. Well, Michelle said he got entirely off of FB she thinks. This is what he wrote:
Jim wrote: "No, I am sick of this debate. I am tired of people telling me that because I don't support the homosexual agenda I HATE THEM....I do not. We will all answer to God in the end for our sins and I say let Him deal with it. If that puts me in the idiot class then find me that rocketship and I'll gladly leave."
It all went on for a little while between Michelle and me which is how Dan got his information. Good grief!

My final comment on all this on FB:
The cruel and inhumane experiences gay people tell about how they were teased and bullied in school, rejected by parents, and attempted or seriously considered suicide when they were children and teens are heartbreaking. No one should have to endure that abuse.

Yes, it also happens to children who are overweight, unattractive, nerds, disabled, and "different" from the children who tease and bully them. Being a hater is a choice and one they are taught at home.

Too many teens suffer in silence and end their lives or become too damaged to have a life. A testimony to the human spirit are the ones who survive it all, become stronger, and thrive. Yes, it does get better.
That's just part of my irritation and rage against intolerance and hate. Add to it the way our educational system is so messed up that it will take decades to get it back on track, the political climate, Sherri Shepherd, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, and a whole list of other things that put me over the edge. I'm going to the yarn shop and try not to screw up Charlie's scarf. See you later!!

6 comments:

the dogs' mother said...

Noticed the religious bent to the comments. Jesus is going to come as a gay man and marry one of his disciples in Iowa.

mrs.missalaineus said...

i can top that froggy- jesus is gonna come as a gay woman and bring ann coulter out of the closet, then gay marry her in iowa.

joy take care. i'm glad you took a stand. it makes a difference to me that you speak out each and every day about injustice, which is what christianity is supposed to be about in the first place. most folks who espouse to be 'christians' have kinda left that whole idea by the wayside....

xxalainaxx
xxalainaxx

lelocolon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lelocolon said...

Joy thanks for this post. This kind of reactions demonstrate why I am loud. They could keep their hate, I will keep shouting.

Beth said...

Good for you for speaking up, and you know me well enough to know that if one of my "friends" dared to say that sort of thing to me, they'd get an earful. If they want to go ahead and keep on hatin', they can just have a ball...but they're not going to do it on my page!

Ken Riches said...

The hypocritical lack of tolerance makes my blood boil.