Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Australia

My friend Janey is here visiting family and has been living in Australia for over 20 years.  She teaches in a law school there and is married and has three Australian children.  She went with us to trivia last night, and we all had lots of fun.  We're going to have to come up with a new team name.  Any suggestions are welcome.  Last night we had Paige, Carl, Sue, Janey, and me, and we did pretty well.  We didn't win because we missed the last question, which asked who was the first President to be born in a hospital.  We wrote Nixon but it was Carter. 

Janey said she knew she was living in the right country when no big deal was made about their new prime minister.  Julia Gillard is their first female Prime Minister.  She's never been married, lives with a man she's not married to who is a hairdresser, has no children, and is an atheist.  I've said before that atheists are in the last group to be elected here if they admit it.  They are discriminated against with no apology. 

If it weren't so far away, I know I'd like living there.  The more she tells me about the educational system, healthcare, and way of life, the more I like it.  I'm not sure I'd get used to driving on the "wrong side" of the road but could possibly adjust.  I'd have to get my family to move there, so I guess I'll stay here and deal with it.  (sigh)

8 comments:

the dogs' mother said...

Well, then there are the kangaroos...

Aled Hughes said...

And never forget that Julia Gillard is Welsh.
She also recently told Muslims that if they wished to live in Australia, they should adapt and not expect Australia to adapt. Otherwise go to a country where they would fit in.
One smart lady.

Joy said...

No, I didn't know that about her.

Ken Riches said...

Interesting that Australia is so much more intellectually advanced.

Miss Ginger Grant said...

Bucko and Beth and I decided a LONG time ago that if Palin (and now Bachbitch, Romnod, or Herman Cant) get elected, we would all move to Australia. They have LOTS of beer there. We would fit RIGHT in!

mrs.missalaineus said...

we're in. let's just buy a huge boat and cruise there!

xxalainaxx

Sam said...

The deadliest snakes in the WORLD are in Australia. Send me a postcard.
Plus did I mention crocodiles.

Joy said...

That's it! We're off to Australia!!