Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Good News

Latest news on the HP laptop. I called a former student who has a computer repair place here in town who asked me to check to see if it's still under warranty. YES!! I found the paperwork on that in the computer case. Who knew I'd put it somewhere logical where I could find it? Yay! He suggested that I call Staples where I bought it and go from there before doing anything else after I told him the problems I'm having with the computer. He said it will probably be very expensive to fix.

Staples directed me to their tech center where I talked to an American in the US. Very helpful and encouraging. I realize this sounds politically incorrect. So what? There are too many people here who need jobs without outsourcing them to India or wherever because of corporate greed, but I digress.

After doing some things like taking out the battery, holding down the power button, and trying to turn it on, the guy said they'd have a repair place send me a box and mailing labels with instructions on how to send it to them. It should take about 2 weeks to get it back. None of it will cost me anything since it's under extended warranty. Best $70 I've spent in a long time! So glad I did that!

Jim at the computer repair shop is going to transfer my data tomorrow, which he'll put on that intimidating external hard drive and give me another lesson on how to use it. Yes, this is the same person Dan blogged about and respected my request not to contact. I understand Dan's feelings and reaction but think I can do more good with the conversations I've had and will continue to have with him. He listened and heard me, which is at least a beginning. I definitely don't understand why this conversation even needs to take place with anyone anywhere, but obviously it does. It's totally foreign to me.

This little netbook helps with some things. I can keep doing my part-time job grading assignments for the Virtual High School. That has to be done daily. The volunteer work is over now that the election is finally happening. No more data to enter for the Democratic HQ here, but I was able to finish it.

There are limitations on this netbook. The main one is that it won't let me play Scrabble on FB, so I won't get back to my games for a couple of weeks or so. I downloaded Adobe Flash Player and Shockwave and tried playing it on Internet Explorer since I use Firefox which worked fine for me on the other laptop but apparently has a conflict with Scrabble. Still wouldn't load. So no Scrabble for me! :-(

1 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Glad to hear it is under warranty :o)