Saturday, July 23, 2011

Amy Winehouse RIP

It finally happened just like we were afraid it would.  Amy Winehouse died at 27, the same age Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, and Jim Morrison were when they OD'd.  There are too many talented performers who left too soon because of excesses and abuse.  A few are John Belushi, Kurt Cobain, Heath Ledger, Michael Jackson, Chris Farley, River Phoenix, and the sad list goes on. I feel so sad for her family.  It's parents' worst nightmare to outlive their children.

This is an excerpt from an article in The Telegraph about Amy Winehouse's life and death.
Amy Winehouse: 1983-2011

Amy Winehouse, who has died aged 27, ticked all the right boxes for a self-destructive wild child of pop, having bags of “attitude”, a drink and drugs problem and a no-good man; yet underneath the ratty beehive hair-do, oversized plastic earrings, kohl-encrusted eyes and tattoo-covered arms, she was also an addictive and engaging performer with a natural deep voice who sang with a jazzy, passionate energy.

Pathetically, Amy Winehouse’s hopes for her life with Blake Fielder-Civil seemed touchingly conventional and domestic. “I’ve always been a little homemaker,” she told an interviewer. “I know I’m talented, but I wasn’t put here to sing. I was put here to be a wife and a mum and to look after my family. I love what I do, but it’s not where it begins and ends.”

In late 2007 Amy Winehouse’s father Mitch was reported to have taken the precaution of writing her obituary, fearful that the end could not be far away.


6 comments:

the dogs' mother said...

One of the things we NEED to solve - addiction.

Sam said...

Heartbroken. I loved her music so so much. What a horrible loss.

Joy said...

I agree, Froggy. Addiction has ruined too many lives and families.

Bob said...

Such a waste of incredible talent.

Mistress Maddie said...

Well as you know Auntie Flame I was a HUGE fan of hers. I was shocked to hear it. Her voice, every time I listen to her cd's and some bootleg recordings , just sends chills to my spin. That's talent. Just sad.

Chris said...

So sad.